British police have arrested a man after burglars stole Maurizio Cattelan‘s solid gold toilet from Blenheim Palace. The conceptual work of art, reportedly worth around $5 million, is still missing 24 hours after the daring heist leading to fears that it the 18-carat gold might be melted down.
A gang of thieves broke into the stately home near Oxford the night after Cattelan’s America (2016) had gone on display to the public. Police confirmed in a statement that the thieves had made their getaway by 4.50 a.m. on Saturday morning, having removed the high-value, heavy weight, and fully functioning work of art. It had been plumbed into the water closet once used by Winston Churchill.
The audacious theft will also cause red faces at Blenheim Palace and the Blenheim Art Foundation, which organized the Italian artist’s first solo show in the UK.
Thames Valley Police confirmed that a 66-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the theft, and that he remains in custody. In a statement, Blenheim Palace said that it was “saddened by this extraordinary event, but also relieved that no one was hurt.” The thieves did cause extensive flooding when they removed the sculpture, however, and Blenheim Palace remained shut yesterday, September 14. It is due to reopen today.
Installation view, Victory is Not an Option (2019), Maurizio Cattelan at Blenheim Palace, 2019. Photo by Tom Lindboe.
The thieves would have had the past six months to plan the robbery as the arrival of Cattelan’s America, the highlight of the exhibition, “Victory Is Not an Option,” was first announced in May. This has increased fears that the sculpture could be smelted down. The gang used two vehicles to carry out the robbery, and remove the heavy toilet.
Ahead of Cattelan’s exhibition, Edward Spencer-Churchill, who is the founder of the Blenheim Art Foundation, appeared relaxed about the risks of borrowing such a valuable work of art. He told The Sunday Times newspaper the America would not be “the easiest thing to nick.”
The chief executive of Blenheim Palace, Dominic Hare, said in a statement that showing the finest works of art “is a risk worth taking.” He added: “We hope against hope” that America can be recovered.
A spokesperson for the art foundation declined to say whether the piece was commercially insured. Blenheim Palace’s security would have had met national museum standards to qualify for the UK government indemnity scheme.
Cattelan’s exhibition is the latest in a series of annual installations by leading artists at Blenheim Palace, the birthplace of Winston Churchill, and home of the dukes of Marlborough since the 18th century. Previous exhibitions have included solo shows by Jenny Holzer, Ai Weiwei, and Yves Klein, but none have generated the level of publicity caused by the theft of the Italian artist’s gold toilet.
Hare said in his statement that: “We hope that the wonderful work of our dear friend Maurizio Cattelan becomes immortalized by this stupid and pointless act.”
Follow artnet News on Facebook:
Want to stay ahead of the art world? Subscribe to our newsletter to get the breaking news, eye-opening interviews, and incisive critical takes that drive the conversation forward.